|If you…||OTS wants your documentation by…||IRS Filing Deadline|
|Live in the US||March 1
|April 18, 2017|
|Live overseas and expect to have significant tax due||March 1 recommended (10% discount)||June 15,
but interest charged on tax not paid by April 18
|Need to file an FBAR to report foreign accounts||With the rest of your tax documentation||April 18 (new deadline), but automatic extension to October 16|
|Live overseas||Early May
(10% discount if file complete by March 1; extensions likely after May 20)
|Need more time||Notify OTS as early as possible||October 16 (maybe later if first year overseas)
Extension must be filed by April 18 if you’re in the US or June 15 if you’re overseas.
- Once you have uploaded your questionnaire and all documentation, you MUST email us to let us know you are ready! We won’t know unless you tell us.
- Up until April 18 we will generally need to give priority to clients with the April deadline. However, if you have a June deadline but need the return done sooner (e.g. for a financial aid or mortgage application), please let us know your deadline and submit your paperwork as early as possible before then.
- If your file isn’t complete by May 20, we will most likely need to put you on an extension and prepare the return after the summer.
- We do charge rush fees if your file is complete less than three weeks before your return is due.
- FBAR extensions: For the 2017 tax season, the FBAR extension is automatic with no request needed. So effectively, the deadline this year is October 16.