Overseas Tax Services

US Income Tax Preparation for Americans Living Abroad


How to File an Extension for Your Tax Return

Are you ready for Tax Day? Need more time to prepare your federal tax return? Please be aware that an extension of time to file your return does not grant you any extension of time to pay your taxes. You should estimate and pay any owed taxes by your regular deadline to help avoid possible penalties. You must file your extension request no later than the regular due date of your return. Taxpayers in certain disaster areas do not need to submit an extension electronically or on paper.

Check to see if you qualify and the due date of your return at irs.gov

Filing an extension gives you until October 15 to file a return. You can also get an extension by electronically paying all or part of your estimated income tax due and indicating the payment is for an extension. To get the extension, you must estimate your tax liability on this form and should also pay any amount due. You can make a same day payment or schedule a payment by accessing your IRS Individual Online Account, using Direct Pay, using the Electronic Federal Tax Payment System (EFTPS) or with a credit or debit card. If an extension is selected when making your payment, you won’t have to file a separate extension form and you’ll receive a confirmation number for your records.

Share this post